Saturday, January 11, 2014

First free day


Today we got up very early for mass at the cenacle at 6.  It was amazing, as we stood in the antechamber and Fr. Klockeman said mass on the slab of the tomb itself (they have a portable altar that goes over it).   
Thank goodness Br. Alvaro lacks my qualms about taking photos during  mass
Almost nothing in Jerusalem opens until 9, so most of us napped following breakfast.  I spent the rest of the day wandering the old city (don't be worried by the singular, parents, I was in a group), and saw but didn't pray at the Wailing Wall because it was very full (Shabbat and all, plus we are going on the 17th).  I visited the co-cathedral of the Latin Patriarchy, and saw the ruins of the old citadel by Jaffa gate.  Jaffa is one of the main gates, so it was fun to people watch.
The Jaffa Gate
I also walked outside the gate to the new city which has a nice mall. It was a little slice of home though unlike home it was closed because of Shabbat.  To close off the day, the Des Moines seminarians ran into their bishop earlier in the day, and invited some of us to join him for drinks. Bishop Pates confirmed me and supervised my parents for a number of years, so it was very good to see him.
The city from outside the walls
Tomorrow we are off to the Red Sea and Eilat, to do Dead Sea sites and Petra.  I really hope I can find an Indiana Jones hat to be tempted by.

No comments:

Post a Comment